Frequently Asked Questions
What is an Ice Fight?
- An “Ice Fight” is an Ice Sculpting Competition between two World Class Sculptors, set up like a boxing match. 3 fifteen minute rounds and your guests decide the winner. At the end, who is the VICTOR ? the belt is on the line…..
What does the 8% mean, Burr?
- Only 8% of all Ice Sculptors still carve by hand. The majority of the industry use a computerized CNC machine which takes away the human element. We carve everything by hand and will until we die. THE SAW IS THE LAW !!!
Where does the ice come from, Burr?
- The ice comes from the North Pole silly. Only kidding, we have a special machine that makes 300 pound blocks of ice with 45 gallons of water.
How much do Ice Sculptures cost?
- Single block ice sculptures start at $300 and can go as high as your imagination. We can create a sculpture in any design or theme requested. Sky’s the limit!
How long do Ice Sculptures last?
- At 75 degrees indoors or in the shade, Ice Sculptures last 4-6 hours. Placement is crucial for direct sunlight will destroy an Ice Sculpture quickly. I will assist in proper placement for your piece to ensure clarity, lighting and impact.
When will my Ice Sculpture get set up?
- Ice Sculptures get set up 30 minutes to an hour before the start of your event. Tear down and removal is also available at the end of your event for an additional $75.
What makes a great Ice Sculpture?
- A custom Ice Sculpture is the best. Unique to you whether you love dolphins, butterflies, dragons or Paris in the Spring. Your company logo, ice bars & luges, ice beer mugs, kegerators and live performances are always options as well.
Does it make you sad when the Ice Sculpture melts?
- Yes, extremely sad. I’m on anti-depressants. This is one reason I also carve many of my pieces in wood as well so they will never melt. (I’m not really on anti-depressants…yet!) Please visit my photos in the collection called WOOD!
What do love about Ice Sculpting?
- When we go to Alaska for the BP World Ice Art Competition, they call the blocks “Arctic Diamonds” because of it’s beauty resembling diamonds or Waterford Crystal. Also, because of it’s smooth surface, we can carve quickly with chainsaws, chisels and hand tools. Quick smooth carving is great for live shows and private competitions which is also available for your event.
How did you get started Ice Sculpting, Burr?
- I was born in Iceland and at 3 years of age my family moved to Alaska where we lived in a old gold mine. It was so cold we carved our furniture out of ice. Carving sculptures soon became part of my life and blood.